I am SO glad to see the back of you. It’s been a hard year for many, from a surprise American election result to many celebrity deaths to the personal struggles that many (myself included) are facing.
While 2015 was the year a bunch of bad stuff happened, 2016 was the year of holding on, pushing through, and hoping for better things to come. I’ve affectionately dubbed this year “the year of the marathon” – a very very hard marathon.
While you are reading this, I am likely snug under piles of blankets after an evening of celebrating with close friends. This may or may not have included beverages, food, games, laughter, and a fire burning some horrible symbols of this year. But 2016 is now over, and 2017 is beginning.
This blog has been a repository for some important thought processes. It’s enabled me to get out some frustrations, to let others know they are not alone, to speak some hard truths into the air. I’ve written more about my personal experiences, and I thank you for joining me on this wild ride of a blogging journey. No year on this blog would be complete without looking back on what’s happened before, so here’s a snapshot of what this year has brought:
Top 5 Posts
- 5. A Burger with a Side of Discrimination, Please, where I discuss the reality of a province’s well-publicized Service Dogs Act.
- 4. because I’m more than a source of inspiration. Your “Inspiration” doesn’t Pay My Bills
- 3. A cry to my own community: When we are the problem
- 2. What would actually make my life easier: The Easy Life
- 1. An Open Letter to Service Dog Fakers
Most popular book review: Not if I see you First
Most popular in the “Empowered” series: Elegant Insights
Blogging Makes me Stronger… especially with posts like These
Part of the joy of being a blogger is the ability to look back over the course of your writing and see how you’ve grown. Many bloggers love it when their posts gain acceptance and popularity, but I find myself challenged by the posts that were hardest to write, or those that were not accepted as widely for a wide variety of reasons. So here are a few posts that have made me grow and have truly changed my perspective on writing or life this year.
- The post with the content I still fully support, but the title that makes me cringe.
- I was corrected kindly on my use of language on a popular post from last year.
- Writing this made me cry… and now that I’m re-reading it… is someone cutting onions in here?
- Sometimes… it’s all about perspective.
- is it wrong to have a favorite blog post?
Bring on 2017!
I’m so proud of how I have come out stronger in 2016. A part of me wishes it didn’t have to come from necessity, but I’ve learned a lot about writing, myself, and life. Whether it’s running with Jenny in preparation for a 10K, creating pretty beaded things with my hands, career struggles, falling and getting back up again… I’m so ready for 2017 and what it has in store. Who’s with me?